Cadet positions are non- sworn volunteer positions and complement the Winters Police Volunteer Program.
The goals of the Police Cadet program are to expose men and women to the various aspects of police work in order to prepare them for a career in law enforcement. The Police Cadet program also helps to provide quality candidates for all law enforcement.
Cadets increase services the Police Department can provide to our community and can provide support in the following areas:
- School, Park, and Bike trail Patrols
- Community Events and Festivals
- Safety Presentations
- Traffic control and scene management during emergencies
- Senior wellness checks
- Vacation checks
- Clerical/ Office Support
For more information regarding the Cadet Program please contact:
Winters Police Department
702 Main St Winters, CA 95694
(530) 795-2261 ext 146
Or download our information brochure by clicking the link below
To apply for the Cadet Program simply complete the Application form available HERE. Please note all areas must be completed or have Not Applicable (N/A) information in order to be processed.
The completed forms can be brought to the Police Department, emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mailed to:
Winters Police Department
ATTN: Cadet Program
702 Main Street
Winters, California 95694
What happens next?
After completing your Program Application, there are three steps to the application process:
Step 1) Application Review and Background Check
Your application will be reviewed. The background check includes a review of the applicant’s criminal history and driving record (if applicable). References listed by the applicant will be contacted to determine the applicant’s suitability to become a member of the Winters Police Department Cadet Program.
Step 2) Interview and Fingerprinting
The applicant will be contacted to establish a time for an interview. The applicant will also be given information regarding contacting the Winters Police Department Record Division to schedule Live Scan fingerprinting.
Step 3) Acceptance or Non- Acceptance
All applicants will be notified of their acceptance or non-acceptance to the program.
GENERAL MEMBERHSIP REQUIRMENTS:
- Participants must be between 15 to 21 years of age (participants between the ages of 15 and 17 must have parental permission).
- Participants must be enrolled in school with a minimum of a 2.5 GPA through 12th grade.
- School transcripts must be enclosed with the application. Proof of grades will be required to be presented to the Cadet Coordinator quarterly.
- Cadets must attend four consecutive bi-monthly meetings and complete orientation in order to be accepted into the program.
- Within four weeks of acceptance, Cadet must possess a Winters Police Department Cadet Uniform. Uniforms will remain at the Winters Police Department, unless being cleaned.
- Within a month of acceptance into the program, Cadet must complete the orientation meeting.
- Complete a two-month probation period.
- Cadets must commit to serving a minimum of 8 hours a month. If, at any time, Cadet is not able to meet the requirements of the program, they shall contact Cadet Coordinator regarding opportunities in the Volunteer Program or separation from the Cadet program.
- Successfully pass a background investigation, including, but not limited to: Criminal history check, DMV history check, and contact with listed references.
- Successfully pass an oral interview.
All of the above requirements are taken into consideration when considering an applicant. None of the above are intended to be an automatic disqualifier. If special circumstances exist that should be considered during the application period, contact the Cadet Coordinator.
- All lines must be completed. If an item does not apply, indicate “not applicable” (N/A)
- Give complete information, including first, middle, and last names
- Sign the forms in the appropriate places
- Provide two letters of recommendation from family members, teachers, etc.
- Intentional withholding of information or falsification of information on this application will result in immediate denial of acceptance. If the applicant is accepted and falsification is discovered, the Cadet will be dismissed without recourse and may be disqualified from any future participation.
- Applications may be submitted in person or mailed to: Winters Police Department, Attn: Cadet Program 702 Main St Winters, CA 95694
- Once your application is received, you will be contacted for an interview date.
Funding for the Cadet Program
The Winters Police Department Cadet Program is a volunteer program funded via a mix of Community Fundraising and budgeted expenses by the Police Department.
Donations to the Winters Police Cadet Program can be accepted at the Winters Public Safety Facility front lobby at 702 Main Street Winters, CA 95694. If using a check, please note Winters PD Cadets in the memo line.