What is the Citizen Academy?
The Winters Police Citizen Academy is a seven-week program designed to educate the public about law enforcement and other local government procedures through various methods of instruction including lectures, activities, discussions, and a ride along with the Police Department.
Objectives and Class Topics
The objectives of the program are to:
- To educate the public about the relevance of the community/police relationship to everyday life
- To provide members of the public the opportunity to learn from officers
- To provide participants with the opportunity to network with others from different backgrounds
- It is important to note the Academy is not a substitute for accredited law enforcement training. The program also does not provide legal advice or teach people how to circumvent the law.
Class topics include:
- Introduction and Community Policing
- Introduction to City Government and High Tech Crime/ Fraud
- Introduction to the Winters Fire Department and Crime Scene Investigation
- Gang Investigations, trends, and intervention
- Street Level Narcotic Investigation, trends, and intervention
- Introduction to District Attorney's Office Resources
- DUI Investigations
- Use of force and firearm safety
- Crime Prevention
To Request an Application
Participants must be at least 16 years old (participants between the ages of 16 and 18 must have parental permission) and live or work in the City of Winters.
Complete an Application and turn it into the Winters Police Department (702 Main St Winters, CA 95694) or email your completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions please contact: Community Service Officer Gail Jimenez at 530-794-6725