The Records Division is open Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, excluding weekends and holidays.
Payment for fees and services may be made by cash, check or credit card. Please note there are additional fees when paying by credit card, the fees are posted at the front counter of the Police Department.
For additional information, please contact the Administrative Coordinator at (530) 795-2261 ext 120.
**Alarm Permit Process has not been implemented at this time, pending completion of City resolution status**
Alarm Permits are required for initial installation of an alarm $28.00.
Please fill out the form linked below. If you have a question regarding an alarm permit please call (530) 794-6723.
Concealed Weapon Permits
Pursuant to California Penal Code §21655(c), the Winters Police Department and the Yolo County Sheriff’s Office have entered into mutual agreement that all applications for concealed weapons licenses, renewals of licenses, and amendments to licenses by applicants living within the city limits of the City of Winters will be processed by the Yolo County Sheriff’s Office.
More information regarding the application process can be found on the Yolo County Sheriff’s Office website by clicking HERE.
Copy of Records
Copies of police reports must be obtained in person from the Winters Police Department business office. Please be advised that not all police reports are available for immediate release. Please note copies of arrest reports must be obtained from the Yolo County District Attorney's Office.
If you would like a copy of a police report, please fill out the form linked below. If you have a question regarding obtaining a copy of a report please call (530) 794-6720.
Copy of Records/ Calls for Service $28.00
Special One-day Event Permits to sell alcohol, only non profit groups may apply for the temporary 1 day Alcohol Beverage Control License Letter. Please see City Hall for road closure requests, event center bookings, and amplified music/sound permits.
Please fill out and print the following forms and bring them to the Police Department when you apply for an ABC license letter (further instructions can be found on the ABC web page HERE):
- An Alcohol Beverage Control Daily License Application/ Authorization form, available at the ABC web page HERE
- An Alcohol Beverage Control Supplemental Diagram form, available at the ABC web page HERE
Alcohol Beverage Control License Letter may be subject to additional conditions, if you have any questions, please contact the front office at (530) 794-6723.
- Alcohol Beverage Control License Letter $25.00
- Event Banner refundable $125 deposit (contact department for availability and details)
Hours for Fingerprinting Tuesdays and Thursdays 9:00 am to 3:00 pm on a walk in basis, photo ID is required.
- Live Scan or Ink Fingerprint Rolling Service Fee $57.00
- Accepted forms of payment are Cash, Check, or Credit Card. Please note there are additional fees when paying by credit card, the fees are posted at the front counter of the Police Department.
- Live Scan Service may require an additional Department of Justice fee be collected if there is no billing information on your Live Scan Application paperwork. This fee is governed by the Department of Justice and will vary depending if you need to be checked state wide (DOJ), nation wide (FBI), or both. Please click HERE for a current fee list assessed by the Department of Justice.
- For a full list of locations providing Live Scan Fingerprinting in California, please click HERE
- If you have any questions, please contact the front office at (530) 794-6723.
Officer Court Time for Civil Subpoena
Please contact the Records Department (530) 794-6720 for further information.
- Service includes deposit of $275 for sworn personnel or $150 for non sworn personnel credited to the following items: Personnel costs to Officer, Travel costs to Officer, Cost of meal if more than 6 hours, Administrative fee of 1 hour
Parking Violation Payment
Payment may be made by mail (check only) or in person (cash, check, or charge) to the Winters Police Department 702 Main Street Winters, CA 95694.
If paying by check, please make check payable to "City of Winters" additionally the citation number must be included on the memo line.
Payment must be received within 30 business days of the citation issue date.
Proof of Correction
If you were issued a parking violation for California Vehicle Code sections 5200 or 5204(a), you must provide proof of correction to the Winters Police Department and payment within 21 days.
Notice of Parking Violation Appeal Procedure
Per California Vehicle Code section 40215, disposition of notice of parking violation appeals is conducted sequentially:
- Request for Administrative Review: Send the department a written statement outlining why the notice of parking violation should be dismissed. Please note: copies of documentation relating to the notice of parking violation and the request for dismissal must be postmarked or delivered to the Winters Police Department within 21 calendar days of the citation issue date or within 14 calendar days of the mailing of the notice of delinquent parking per California Vehicle Code section 40215(a). There is no cost for an administrative review.
- Request for Administrative Hearing: Send the department a written request for an Administrative Hearing within 21 calendar days following the notification mailing of the results of the administrative review, per California Vehicle Code section 40215(b). Please note: Administrative Hearings can be conducted in person or by written application. An Administrative Hearing shall be held 90 calendar days following the receipt of the request for an Administrative Hearing, excluding time tolled pursuant to California Vehicle Code sections 40200-40225. The person requesting the hearing may request one continuance, not to exceed 21 calendar days per California Vehicle Code section 40215.
- Request for Traffic Court: Send the Yolo County Superior Court a request for a hearing. Please note: At the conclusion of the Administrative Hearing, the matter may be appealed to the Yolo County Superior Court of California. For more information, please visit the Yolo County Superior Court web page HERE
Change of Registered Owner
Registered owners of vehicles may transfer responsibility for the violation via timely affidavit of non- liability when the vehicle has been transferred, rented, or under certain other circumstances per California Vehicle Code sections 40209 and 40210.
Impounded Vehicle Information
When a vehicle has been issued five or more notices of parking violations to which the owner, or person in control of the vehicle, has not responded within 21 calendar days of notice of citation issuance or citation issuance, or 14 calendar days of the mailing of a notice of delinquent parking violation, to the agency responsible for processing notices of parking violations, the vehicle may be impounded. The vehicle will remain impounded until the person furnishes to the impounding law enforcement agency satisfactory evidence that the following conditions have been met:
- All parking penalties due for the vehicle and all other vehicles registered to the registered owner of the impounded vehicle have been completed
- All traffic violations of the registered owner have been completed
- The registered owner or person in control of the vehicle will be liable for the cost of towing and storing the vehicle per California Vehicle Code section 22651(i).
Recreational Vehicles and Trailers
RV Temporary Habitation Permit $28.00
Municipal Code 10.16.055, prohibits any person who owns or has possession, custody or control of any vehicle, recreational vehicle or unattached trailer, to use or allow the use of such vehicle for human habitation or occupancy. The term “habitation” means the use of a vehicle for temporary or permanent living quarters.
The RV Temporary Habitation Permit allows the temporary habitation or occupancy of a vehicle for 72 hours up to 14 days total per calendar year as long as each habitation or occupancy period is separated by at least 10 days (meaning the vehicle can be temporarily occupied for 3 consecutive days, every 10 days, up to 14 times per year), additional restrictions may apply. For more information regarding temporary habitation permits, please contact the Record Division by phone at 530-794-6720 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Trailer Parking Permit $28.00
Trailer Parking Permit Information
Municipal Code 10.16.050, prohibits leaving unattached trailers on any street or alley for any period of time as well as parking any vehicle or recreational vehicle for more than 72 hours consecutive hours upon any street or alley within the city.
The Trailer Parking Permit allows unattached trailers/recreational vehicles to be parked for 72 hours up to 36 days total per calendar year (meaning the vehicle can be parked for 3 consecutive days up to 12 times per year), additional restrictions may apply. For more information regarding trailer parking permits, please contact the Record Division by phone at 530-794-6720 or by email at email@example.com
Records Check Letter $28.00
- Requires a photo ID
- The records check letter is not a substitute for fingerprinting and does not provide court dispositions
- The letter checks contact within the Winters Police Department jurisdiction only, if you have lived in multiple locations a records check letter must be provided from each law enforcement jurisdiction to the agency requesting a records check letter.
Ticket Sign Off and VIN Verification
Ticket Sign off /fix it ticket
- $15.00 for tickets issued by an outside agency
- There is no charge for Winters PD citations
After having a ticket signed off, a fee must still be paid to the Court. Phone numbers for the court can be found at the bottom or on the back of the ticket for more information regarding court fees and methods of payment.
VIN Verification $25.00
Department of Motor Vehicle Forms can be obtained at the Department of Motor Vehicles or online.
Tow Release Fees
Tow fees must be paid to the public safety jurisdiction where the tow took place. Please note that tow releases must be processed during lobby business hours (702 Main St Winters Mon- Fri 8 am to 4:30 pm, excluding weekends and holidays)
- Abandoned Vehicle Tow Admin Fee $113.00
- Impounded Vehicle Hearing Release Fee $179.00
- Private Property Abandoned Vehicle Abatement Fee $326 (+ Tow Company Fee)
- Repossessed Vehicle Tow Admin Fee $15.00
- Vehicle Tow Administration Fee $85.00
Vehicle Release Procedure
Vehicle releases are subject to the following criteria (registered owner, registration, driver license). For more information, please see below:
Registered Owner Verification
Vehicles can only be released to registered owners with a photo identification. If the registered owner is not available, the following substitutions will be accepted:
- A notarized letter from the registered owner authorizing pick up may be substituted.
- The registered owner (photo ID required) can come to the lobby of the Police Department and give permission for the vehicle to be released to another party.
Registered Vehicle Verification
Vehicles can only be released if they are registered. Registration requires registration fees, proof of insurance, and valid smog certificate be sent to the Department of Motor Vehicles. If the vehicle has been towed due to a no registration violation, you must be able to provide one of the following:
- Provide proof of registration
- Signed and stamped one day moving permit from the Department of Motor Vehicles
- Provide statement from tow company that vehicle will be towed from a tow yard to secondary location (may be subject to telephonic confirmation)
Licensed Driver Verification
Vehicles can only be released to a licensed driver. If the vehicle has been towed due to an unlicensed or suspended driver violation, you must:
- Bring 2 licensed drivers with you to pick up the vehicle (one driver who brought you to the department and an additional driver to take possession of the released vehicle).