Today’s Date: 12-17-2017
Submitted By: John P. Miller, Chief of Police
Phone: (530) 795-2261
Title: Thefts from Vehicles
Since October, The Winters Police Department has received more than 30 reports of thefts from vehicles. Based on evidence collected at the scenes, it is evident the city is experiencing a series of thefts performed by one or more individuals and the Winters Police Department is actively working several leads.
Although a small portion of these crimes involved forced entry into the vehicles, the vast majority
occurred from unlocked vehicles. The thefts have occurred throughout town and a variety of
items were taken from the vehicles. All appeared to be crimes of opportunity.
Leaving vehicle unlocked and items visible in your vehicle provide an opportunity for thieves to
enter your vehicle and take your possessions with little effort. Although the Winters Police
Department has redirected patrols and has initiated an awareness campaign vis social media, we
remind our residents and visitors always to:
• Park in well-lighted area, if possible
• Lock your vehicle always and activate security system
• Never leave valuables, including firearms, in your vehicle
• Secure all items from view. If it can be seen, it can be stolen
• Report any suspicious activity to Winters Police at 530-795-4561 for non-emergency.
Call 911 in the event of an emergency.
Always remembering to “REMOVE IT, LOCK IT, OR LOSE IT” reduces your chance of being
the next victim.