Tow Release Fees
Tow Release Fees
Tow fees must be paid to the public safety jurisdiction where the tow took place. Please note that tow releases must be processed during lobby business hours (702 Main St Winters Mon- Fri 8 am to 4:30 pm, excluding weekends and holidays)
- Abandoned Vehicle Tow Admin Fee $134.00
- Impounded Vehicle Hearing Release Fee $212.00
- Private Property Abandoned Vehicle Abatement Fee $363 (+ Tow Company Fee)
- Repossessed Vehicle Tow Admin Fee $15.00
- Vehicle Tow Administration Fee $100.00
Vehicle Release Procedure
Vehicle releases are subject to the following criteria (registered owner, registration, driver license). For more information, please see below:
Registered Owner Verification
Vehicles can only be released to registered owners with a photo identification. If the registered owner is not available, the following substitutions will be accepted:
- A notarized letter from the registered owner authorizing pick up may be substituted.
- The registered owner (photo ID required) can come to the lobby of the Police Department and give permission for the vehicle to be released to another party.
Registered Vehicle Verification
Vehicles can only be released if they are registered. Registration requires registration fees, proof of insurance, and valid smog certificate be sent to the Department of Motor Vehicles. If the vehicle has been towed due to a no registration violation, you must be able to provide one of the following:
- Provide proof of registration
- Signed and stamped one day moving permit from the Department of Motor Vehicles
- Provide statement from tow company that vehicle will be towed from a tow yard to secondary location (may be subject to telephonic confirmation)
Licensed Driver Verification
Vehicles can only be released to a licensed driver. If the vehicle has been towed due to an unlicensed or suspended driver violation, you must:
- Bring 2 licensed drivers with you to pick up the vehicle (one driver who brought you to the department and an additional driver to take possession of the released vehicle).